Wednesday 16 November 2016

If you like it, keep doing it!

The girls and I popped back to West Runton this weekend for some more fossil hunting. I have to say it is getting quite competitive, with each of us trying to outdo the other and find the most, biggest and best examples of fossils to win the prize and the kudos. We have being doing this together for nearly two years and traditions are emerging. We cannot leave the beach for example until we have found a 'sea urchin fossil' having achieved this now every time we have been to the beach. I am not sure whether this a pleasurable tradition or a slightly obsessive and high pressured one! On this visit,  I hit the jackpot and found a cluster of them in the flint. Sadly this was way too big a find to bring home, so I have to content myself with only a picture. I need the evidence as my competitive children may deny its existence in future expeditions! It is rapidly emerging as my favourite time with the girls and something I think genuinely interests them. Besides I thought the fresh air would do Anna some good as she perfected the art of throwing up everywhere in the car on Saturday. That one will haunt me for years, as the parental duty of clearing it up was less than pleasant. Lucy is off today on a school trip for a few days and I am off to Kent, so the family Hammond is in various parts of the country and separated. Would be good to catch up this weekend and go for another fossil hunting expedition, although the girls might think this is overkill. I don't want to spoil a good thing...

No comments: