Monday 18 September 2017

I get a great feeling...

One of the perks of being a parent and an area that I really get a sense of accomplishment and fulfilment about being a dad is providing for my family and being appreciated for it. Anna has the smallest bedroom in the house and for a good couple of years she has struggled to make it spacious enough to enjoy, her furniture was not in a good state and all her stuff was literally on top of her!. For the last three weekends I have grafted (and perhaps overdone it) to redecorate and create her a bedroom that has all the right storage, looks great and is space she can truly call her own. With much swearing and considerable help from Mrs Hammond (we made a great team!) this weekend in putting up, breaking, fixing and manipulating large amounts of Ikea furniture, Anna finally has a room to be proud of, that meets her needs and to enjoy. If I am honest, it gives me great pride to be able to do this and give the girls a firm base to grow and provide them with a home. I have tackled practical demons and conquered them, for now at least! Anna is delighted and it was a pleasure to see her settle in last night and this more than made up for the levels of tiredness I felt today! Anna calling it her lady den! With my judgement clouded by exhaustion, I have promised Lucy that we will make a start on hers in a few weeks, which is definitely in need of attention, redecoration and decluttering. I must be mad as Lucy's room is going to be quite a challenge as she is a hoarder. I know a home comes from more than just the building and the way it looks; I know a home is founded upon love, trust, security and helping each other - but it also good if it looks nice and feels right. We have definitely created this in Anna's room (and nobody will ever see the drill holes where I could not get the mirror up as they are now behind it or the mark on the back of the door covered by a Dobby postcard where the nail I used was too long from the other side!)

No comments: