Sunday 1 January 2012

Year by year.....

Another year as a parent has flown by and it has been full of truly rich experiences, amazing times, stressful, tiring and hard work, a steep learning curve, hilarious moments, touching and amazing moments but I would only ever describe it as fantastic.

It has been a hard year as well, as I have spent less time with Amy and the girls because of my new job and I have found that really tough indeed. I know it brings them lovely things, provides more stability and I am doing the right thing for my family, but days away from them all sometimes does not make sense. Sometimes I just feel I can't get that time back and I wonder whether it is worth it, but I quickly change my mind when Lucy tells me a very bad joke on the phone and tells me about her day or the welcome back Anna gives me when I get home and she won't let go of me in the tightest cuddle known to man. The girls are growing up so fast and I just don't want to miss a bit of it. I was listening to the radio in the car the other day to a programme about the armed forces serving in Afghanistan and the parents spending months away from their kids and in some cases missing their births and then I pull myself together, get on with it and remember how lucky I am. I am sorry I am not always there girls but I work so hard for you, you may not realise but but I want you to be proud of your dad and what he does and have everything you need.

Best moments this year - too many to mention. If I had to pick a few in a pressure moment I would probably go for den making in Sheringham Park, Wiggle and her goggles, everything that Lucy has done at school and how proud I am, Anna's birthday 'bridgewater' day out, the evolution of Lucy's drawings - I love the anticipation of what the next picture will bring, October ice cream weekend and the memorable 'Prats of the cranbeen'!

Thank you girls for all the joy you give me. You light up my life with every moment as your dad. Happy new year!

No comments: