Monday 1 February 2016

Sporting challenges....

Both my girls differ in sporting aspirations, skills and drive. Anna is a blessed with a fairly sporty nature that is all round and allows her to have a go at most things. She is loving her football, the intensity of real matches, gets fearlessly stuck in and is ever improving. If I am honest though she does not work that hard at it and things just come naturally. In contrast, Lucy, on the other hand is not one of life's natural sports persons. She works so very hard at it, tackles challenges with enthusiasm and loves the social aspect. She soaks up the theory and has a keen eye for the skill in others. There is just one problem - she is just not progressing at Gymnastics after several years of hard work and commitment. At the weekend, Amy and I broached the very difficult and sensitive conversation about whether it was time to stop and try something new? There were tears and upset and if I am honest, I did not feel very good about myself bringing it up. I can see that in the future, as all the other girls who are much younger progress beyond her and her ability, it could prove a very difficult social situation she finds herself in and I would not want that. We just want to protect her. I am not being critical of her in any way, she can find her own path and if sport is not it, then so be it. I am worried about her and sometimes love involves being honest and having that difficult conversation. She spoke about it again this morning and seems to be reflecting on it quite a bit. I feel so cruel and never meant to be. I love Lucy with all my heart and am so proud of her and everything she does. Quite a parental quandary this one....

No comments: