Tuesday 20 May 2008

What am I to do......


Being a dad can be so frustrating. What do you do!? Lucy, for some reason had a very bad nights sleep last night. Very unsettled and waking up regularly. Why is it when children are upset, they always want their mummy. Such a small thing and I found it really upsetting. I was rejected by a two year old in the middle of the night! I could have been tucked up in bed, but I was upset by the fact that Lucy had got her mother up instead of me! I am a strange being. Maybe it is the nature of relationships that we forge with our children as fathers that stop children wanting that element of closeness with us when upset. If any dad reading this is like me, I seem to have forged a relationship with my daughter based on buffoonery and silliness. So maybe Lucy simply does not see me that way. I think I need to work on that aspect of our relationship fast!


I am a fickle parent! Forget all the analysis and lack of confidence recriminations. As I was leaving her bedroom tonight Lucy said 'I love you daddy' with a big sheepish grin on her face. Fantastic! Amazing! Pray she sleeps tonight. I suppose we are just getting practice in for our impending arrival in a few weeks....Might as well get used to it.

No comments: