Monday 19 May 2008

Another day in parenting land........


Being a parent is about being accessible to your children for twenty four hours a day. It is impossible to be a part time parent. You never stop thinking about them, even when you are not with them. Last night I was accessible to Lucy at midnight when Rabbit's cardigan was not on! She woke me up to tell me and this morning I had to make myself available to support with the urgent matter that Molly the doll got stuck in the tractor! Maybe being a parent is about being an emergency service and a cry is a 999 call for help. Amy my wife, has had to really push me hard to try and ignore some of Lucy's crying, especially at night, so that she can settle herself. I still find it hard - my instinct is to help and I have to confess to struggling to cope with the noise of a crying child.


When Lucy was very small, Amy bought a book called 'The contented little baby' or something like that - that helps parents with establishing routines. My wife turned into a gestapo officer, she even frightened me! It worked though, the majority of the time Lucy sleeps well and we enjoy a relaxing evening. SOON ALL THAT WILL CHANGE WHEN OUR NEXT BABY ARRIVES! In the meantime I am happy to be accessible twenty four hours a day - who could resist the face of the fairy above!

No comments: