Tuesday 3 June 2008

Practical dad!

There are times when you are a dad when you need to put your practical head on. There is a problem on this front - I have no practical skills whatsoever! I get really nervous that I will screw up simple DIY tasks, so I blatantly avoid them or try to get out of them by paying somebody else. On this occasion I have made the effort. With the impending arrival of baby 'Anna' (Inverted commas imply we are still not sure about the sex) and have decorated the nursery and if I say so myself (smugly) it looks pretty darn good. This maybe the only time I ever get down in writing practical smugness on any level so I am going to enjoy it. My wife, Amy is getting very big and very tired - so it is my job to up my anti and do as much as I can, no matter how useless I can be. When you become a dad (or parent) you have to learn to be somebody you are not and in my case practical. It is time I learnt to do things I am not good at, so that I can pass them on to my children. I don't want Lucy growing up thinking you can put things off or buy your way out of trouble. Mental note - must do better....

No comments: