Tuesday 9 February 2010

I do wonder how they are doing...

I believe my girls are doing well and that they are developing as they should, but a source of constant worry to me is and always has been whether they are bright and have skills. I don't want them to struggle in any way and any parent you ask that does not want their children to be the best or the quickest to learn something would be blatantly lying to you. With Lucy, she is the oldest and I never know things that a four year old should be able to achieve and what the benchmark is for learning to read and write for example. As Anna grows up, you would think that I would be able to use what I learnt from Lucy when she was Anna's age, but they are so different in their skills that for a novice such as me it is hard to use them as a comparison. Take problem solving for instance. Anna is far more patient and methodical than Lucy will ever be. Lucy has great imagination and is very social with a fantastic memory for things. I suppose I am just hoping for a pair of good all rounders that will be able to make their way in the world. What has set me off on this parental analytic neurosis is that when I dropped off the girls off at nursery this morning Lucy revealed a few things that I did not know she knew - for example she expertly sang me the alphabet song 'ABCDEFG etc' and reeled off facts about food, vegetables, sugar contents and what we should and should not eat. I was very impressed and it just got me thinking whether this was a sign of intelligence or normal? Whatever the answer I know I was proud...

No comments: