Tuesday 15 May 2012

The negotiator...

Lucy is growing up. There is no doubt. She is entering a new phase in her life and her expectations are changing every day. She is desperate for choice, control and really wants to assert her title as the older sibling and has gained so much confidence from having her own world in going to school. She still won't tell me what she does during her day which I find very frustrating. This is very new territory from both Amy and I. I have to say that we are all learning together. I have never been responsible for a six year old before and the dynamics in my house are changing, along with Lucy. It is a difficult balancing act between offering her opportunity and gauging her understanding. I am probably talking drivel, but I am trying to say I don't want to set her up for a fall, as she wears her heart on her sleeve. Assertion is definitely the right word to use and we are once again experiencing conflict about the small things in life such as decisions, doing home work and bed time.  We make no apologies for pushing her hard and neither does she in pushing us! She is very intelligent and understands so much. One can easily get caught out in managing and understanding this new parental phrase in the fact that Lucy listens, watches, observes and then strikes. I have so much empathy for her in the fact that she really feels grown up and gets frustrated by things she can't yet influence, especially Anna (I am not sure anybody will ever be able to do that!). She is constantly negotiating the next thing she wants to control and she is very good at it indeed! I am trying to think who she reminds me of, but I can't think at the moment.....

No comments: