Tuesday 11 November 2014

Just be yourself is all I ask...

Both my girls are so very different and I find this comforting, as well as reassuring as they grow up. No parent is the perfect parent, but I would like to think that one of the great strengths that Amy and I have as parents is that we are allowing our girls to find their own way in the world and simply be themselves. We also work very hard at getting them to develop an understanding that sometimes you have to conform as well, which I have to say is very difficult with the strong personalities we have in our house! I reflect on this, with Anna recently pictured at a friends wedding wearing a shirt, tie and jacket and the emerging Christmas wish list she has been talking about this week. Armed with her stunt scooter she loves going over to the skate park over the road and playing with the big boys (who incidentally have embraced her as one of their own and look after her really well - a fact that has not been lost on me and has impressed me greatly. They are a real credit to their parents), she has now decided that she wants to find a club that does street dancing and her main present choice for Christmas is a cool baseball cap! I don't know whether we can find a street dancing club in rural Norfolk, but we can do the baseball cap. I have in the past discussed my nagging doubts about what path this will take Anna down, but as each day goes by I become more convinced that she is comfortable in her own skin, knows her own mind and is becoming more resilient to combat the prejudice she may face due to her different outlook on life. I have to say she looked smarter than I did at the wedding! Very pleased for Wiggle this week, as the dry night issue that has rumbled on for some time, seems to be finally cracked!

No comments: