Thursday 25 August 2016

If only I could make her see...

How much she means to me and how proud I am that she is my daughter, who she is and will become. Today we have celebrated a great day to be a Hammond, in Anna winning a place at the Norwich City academy for girls for the 2016/2017 season. I sobbed with pride on the way home after Amy rang me to tell me the news and can't stop smiling (I do need to be a bit careful and not live my dreams vicariously through my children though!) That's not the reason for my blog post though. Lucy is a sensitive soul and suffering a real crisis of confidence and whilst happy for her sister, struggled with the fact that with all she tries and does, she does not seem to have the same level of high profile success as her sister or in her mind anybody else. I tried to explain to her that I may not be cheering her on by the side of a pitch or raving on about her latest football game or result, but not a day goes by when she doesn't render me breathless with her beauty and wit, from the day they were born, she and her sister have captivated me for different reasons. I love watching the different journeys they are forging for themselves. Lucy is generous in her nature, her wish to help others is quietly lovely - this always shines through in her play in her room early in the morning when she thinks we are not listening, her work ethic at school, her love of collecting little things, her comic timing, her extensive imagination, her devotion to Oddball and original wit. They are all components that make up one of the most beautiful and amazing people in my world. I have felt like it since the day she was born and that will never go away. I may never witness her scoring a winning goal, but I may watch from afar beaming with pride as she builds a quiet and worthwhile career helping others by being a teacher for example as she sometimes talks of. Anna is gregarious and all about the show. Lucy is quiet and understated and I want to help her believe in the person I see growing up before me. A great person who quietly wins every day. Keep being you Lucy, you will be defined by not what people say about you, what you think they want you to be or how hard they cheer, but by the impact you have on them and how that makes you feel. When seeking approval or ratification, go with the ones who give this naturally and without asking anything in return. Anna would love the cheers of the crowd, not because she has no substance, as she is a kind and loving girl, but because its in her nature to want the applause and the thrill. So Lucy, be Lucy and lets see where it takes you. I predict great things....

No comments: