Monday 21 May 2018

I think I may have committed a truly epic parental cock up!

For years Amy and I have religiously waited for Anna to go to sleep, writing small notes in our best tooth fairy handwriting, frantically rushed around searching for change at 11pm and snuck into her room and swapped bloody teeth from under her pillow. Late last week, it turned 9.40pm and Anna's tooth had come out days before and she duly popped it in a bag under her pillow. Tired  and wanting to go to bed, with Amy already snoring her heart out in bed and not well, I took a gamble and prepared the reward and note as usual, sneaking into Anna's room thinking that she would be asleep already, tired from the heat and her day at school. A couple of minutes later she came through and enthusiastically told me that Boxer had been (having forgotten to come the previous two nights - bad parents!) I went to bed and thought nothing of it, thinking I had got away with it! In the morning, Anna approached me and in her usual stark and blunt manner said 'you do realise I caught you putting your hand under my pillow, Boxer is not real, is he?' At this point panic set in, but also a huge sense of relief that I no longer had to do this late at night shenanigans each time a bloody tooth came out. Lucy was present for this conversation and urged me to continue the ruse, I am afraid I buckled under the parental pressure and stated that 'she had me and we were just helping her for all these years to use her imagination, but Santa is real!' Why I said this I do not know, as I could have gone to bed early this year on Christmas eve. Muppet! Later that week Anna sent me a lovely text saying 'Never mind dad, its not your fault, I really enjoyed all the notes from Boxer - you are the best dad ever!' Now there is a child who knows how to play her parents and twang their heart strings. Lucy when she discovered this simply said 'creep!' Does this mean I don't have to part with any more cash Wiggle?

No comments: