Thursday 20 September 2018

Complicated, tenacious and a bit of handful!

I am conscious that at the moment, life has imposed a great deal of change on my girls. Everything is changing and when you are ten this must be difficult to deal with. There are some really emotional challenges on the horizon and ones that are already happening in both their lives. Factor into this that you are Anna and life gets even more complicated. She's finding things a bit tough at the moment, she adores her Grandma and is acutely aware that her time with her is limited. As Grandma becomes more unwell, and she is, Anna is finding this very difficult, even in the simple act of popping in to see her. Factor further changes such as moving house, moving schools, a young lady who is still trying to find her way in the world and gain a sense of her identity and place; then life becomes even more difficult. We are experiencing several emotional reactions as each change or challenge gets closer in Anna becoming very frustrated and I think she genuinely feels a sense of injustice at the moment. As her parent, this is the stuff I really struggle with and I find myself getting cross with her. My message to Anna would be 'don't try and find an identity, you already have one and we love you for being you. Don't worry about what people think of you and continue to find the path that makes you happy'. There is a million and one things going on in Anna's life at the moment, as is the case for us all. I have tried to find the words on several occasions that I hope will make a ten year old understand all this change but at the moment I can't. Add this to the individual changes she is going through and it could easily be quite overwhelming.  I know this is about her wanting to control, change and influence really complicated things that are happening and sometimes you just can't change what comes to us all. I am determined to sit down with her this weekend and find those words...

No comments: