Sunday 9 December 2018

Didn't she do well!

It has been a week of parental contrasts some of which have left me beaming with pride, others bemused at how I am going to handle things and tinged with a bit of sadness. Let's start with the confusing bits. I witnessed, got highly involved in and parentally cocked up my handling of the  first and significant teenage hormonal surge and strop last Sunday. I definitely did not cover myself in glory, as Anna joined in and took her stubborn defiant nature to the next level as well. Amy advising me to give them some calm down time and I could not let it go as it was about manners at the table. Mrs Hammond's strategy would have brought a much quicker resolution to the debate!  A work mentor of mine once gave me some amazing and highly effective advice that when I wish to step in and say something that could be contentious I should breath and sit on my hands. I can do this at work quite naturally now after all these years, may need some practice on this at home with the girls! Pride came when we received a letter from Lucy's school stating that she had been awarded three 'above and beyond points', which she tells me are like gold dust for her outstanding attitude to learning. It was a small thing, but such a significant achievement by Lucy to be recognised in such a short space of time at her new school and with everything that has gone on too. The sadness piece comes from the fact that the girls have politely and slightly awkwardly (as to not disappoint me) declined to come to the last two football games with me. I think their enthusiasm for having this experience with me may be dwindling; not sure if they are tired at the end of a long term or don't want to stand in the cold. I hope they change their minds, it has been an experience so far in sharing this part of my life with them that has filled me with love and joy. Fingers crossed one of them comes for the next home game on Boxing day!   A few weeks ago Lucy finally experienced the exhilaration of the last minute winner with city 2-3 down on the 90th minute and ending up winning the game 4-3 with two quick goals. She was bouncing up and down like a true football fan! Loved it and shared it with her so that we may talk about it for years to come..

No comments: