Thursday 12 March 2009

I Need to do something..

It has been an emotional and thoughtful week as a parent for me. I have been watching the television this week and reports from the build up to Comic Relief day and I cannot stop thinking about the plight of the children in the films. Three year old children in Africa such as Lucy without parents and caring for themselves. It does not bear thinking about, the thought of Lucy for example, having to go through that. I cannot even describe in words how that feels. Whilst Lucy is spirited and bright she has so much to learn and is so vulnerable. The loneliness, the fear and isolation of being without parents in a war zone. I am a very, very lucky man. So I have decided to do something about it and raise as much money as I can for Comic Relief. So tomorrow I am having all my having shaved off.

Heard a wonderful line this week, used to describe raising children: 'You will never have enough money and you will definitely never have enough sleep, but you will never not have enough love for your children'. My girls mean the world to me and now I am a parent watching programmes such as Comic Relief has suddenly become hard and I have lost my complacency. It brings home the responsibility of parenthood, how amazing it is, how wonderful and fragile your children are and how words are so hard to find to describe your love for them.

No comments: