Sunday 13 June 2010

All bling and no substance...

A worrying trend is emerging in my house: it is called jewellery and nail varnish and all things pink and girlie. My girls are very young, but they love getting dressed up and having their nails painted. There is a huge debate in the press at the moment about the sexualisation of children with things such as make up, jewellery and the way they dress. To me, my girls are having fun and epitomise innocence personified. It is only an issue if society makes it an issue. Mind you, I do have limits that will not be crossed such as lipstick and as a Father I reserve the right to be overprotective and change my mind at any time. Today's pictures are Lucy and Anna having a girlie moment with their mummy and getting lots of bling on, I think they look beautiful. After bath they are being rewarded for their good behaviour with a nail painting session and a story. Now that's what I call a Sunday afternoon, obviously I prefer football and coffee or a good film. Where's the harm in it when it is in a controlled, safe environment such as home. Both aspire to being bigger girls than they are and as parents it is our responsibility to keep a careful eye on this so that it does not get out of hand, but not take away a bit of pleasure in their lives. Anna told me she was a big girl like mummy and smiled from cheek to cheek...

No comments: