Sunday 22 May 2016

Inspirational is the only word...

Today Anna and I nipped off to Carrow Road to watch 'Jamie's game' - a celebrity and city old boys fundraiser. Apart from introducing the legends that are Grant Holt and Darren Huckerby to Anna (every time he got the ball Anna swooned!), it was a day of reflection and inspiration. Before the game loads of children with disabilities played mini matches and I cannot find the words to describe what an pleasure and delight it was to watch these children play in front of thousands of people. Their spirit and tenacity was on a level I have not seen before and I found it a very emotional experience watching them. One boy in particular, suffering from cerebral palsy, never gave up as his opponents knocked him down, up he got, puffed his chest and went in harder for the next tackle. Tears rolled down my eyes. The challenges seemed to mean nothing to him as with courage and each step he just kept going and going. I think from my end of the ground he got by far the biggest cheer as he scored a goal! I have to say after that I held Anna closer and thanked my lucky stars that my girls do not face such challenges. The best thing was that Anna spotted him first and pointed him out to me, she never once mentioned his disability - just how good he was and how hard his tackles were. I was proud of that too! A great day, shed loads of cash raised for a good cause and some quality time with daughter number two...

No comments: