Tuesday 17 October 2017

Celebrating from a distance....

My baby girl is twelve today. It has been a strange experience in celebrating her birthday with her from such a distance and not actually seeing her. I really do feel like I have let her down. As I write though she is partying and spending time with her friends and I am sure thoroughly enjoying herself. Part of my role as Lucy's dad is one of provider and in the world of being self employed, I go where the work is and often personal life takes second place, especially in the service industry of the care profession where I operate. I have the weekend and Friday off to make it up to her, but that at the moment just seems like placating my guilt. Amy is so in tune with how I feel and organised a FaceTime call this morning at 7am, when I could watch Lucy open her presents. I am eternally grateful, that my wife supports me and understands the difficulty I have in balancing work with home life. It was wonderful to watch and I found the whole experience quite emotional, shedding a tear or two. It was not the same as being there, but it has made my day. Happy birthday Lucy and know that the day you were born changed my life for the better. I am blessed to call you my daughter and you have grown into such a generous and loving person that I am extremely proud to have been involved in raising you. If I am involved it is a modern miracle you are turning out so well! Your birthday presents this year such as the laptop to use for high school, just show how much you are growing up. Have a great rest of the day and I will see you in a couple of days for the biggest hug you have ever had xx

No comments: